• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

meanwhile updates on linux telling me exactly what is happening in real time, working completely in the background, and politely informing me that i may wish to reboot to apply all the updates properly

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Windows: Imma let you finish but first we gotta update my man. Will only take an hour. Maybe three.

Linux: Save the drama for your mamma.

• lazynooblet@lazysoci.al
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Linux updates are much superior, but Windows updates have not taken more than 5 minutes for me for a long time.

I just hate all the reboots. Linux can update everything, even kernels now, and no downtime. Reminds me of crap home internet routers: “oh you changed the date&time? Then I gotta reboot”

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

The routine Windows updates do go pretty quickly, but the “cumulative updates” can still take a very long time in my experience. I have to patch multiple servers and workstations at my job and it sucks. And if you have a hyper-v guest that lies dormant most of the time, but you need to update it once or twice a month, may the gods help you. Takes forever to even CHECK for updates, because Windows freaks the hell out if your PC remains turned off for a period of time.