• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

A certain demographic being rare/small does not strip them of their right to existence in peoples minds, i get where you are coming from, but there is also zero hurt being done by asking this. There might not be super much of a point in asking, but looking at someone like they are a moron for asking it, is completely unjustified.

• pathief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m guessing people from South Korea get a little mad being asked this all the time.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s not just that they’re rare, but that it’s literally illegal due to UN sanctions for N. Koreans to emigrate (resolution 2397 in 2017), not to mention severe restrictions by the N. Korean regime itself. Just asking if someone is from N. Korea in any country that follows UN resolutions could get that person deported if someone overhears.

• unexposedhazard
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

As long as you qualify for refugee status this does not apply. I dont know what is required to qualify for that, but i assume its not impossible, considering the kind of place north korea is.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Certainly. But that just means it’s that much less likely that you’ll actually meet someone who qualifies (they’ll have to flee N. Korea first, the official channels won’t work).