I remember how big this was for a while - only for this bit of news to be buried with a short article. Surely the scale of infestation (resulting in the change in approach) is going to have significant impacts to pollinator-dependent agriculture?

• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Faaark. I didn’t even know it was here.

Non-compliance by some beekeepers, a recent spike in new detections and over a wider area made eradication a non-viable option, the group said.

These cunts…

• just_kitten@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m guessing it’s too many hobby farmers and anti government/homesteading types who don’t understand the seriousness of this shit, it’s like Covid all over again. Plus I’d heard feral bee colonies were an issue too.

But I’m surprised you didn’t know it was here, if it’s a topic of interest? Varroa mite was big news earlier this year when it was first detected in NSW, the reporting was rather dire.

• SpaceBar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Varroa has never been eradicated once it shows up, ever, anywhere. Once it was found in Australia, it was already so established that it was not possible to get rid of it. Thats because by the time it’s detected, it’s already been spreading for a while.