Former Trump campaign lawyer Jenna Ellis pleaded guilty Tuesday in the Georgia election subversion case and will cooperate with Fulton County prosecutors – the third guilty plea in the past week.

At an unscheduled hearing in Atlanta, Ellis pleaded guilty to one count of aiding and abetting false statements, a felony stemming from the election lies that Ellis and other Donald Trump lawyers peddled to Georgia lawmakers in December 2020.

She was sentenced to five years of probation and ordered to pay $5,000 in restitution.

Ellis delivered a tearful statement to the judge Tuesday while pleading guilty, disavowing her participation in Trump’s unprecedented attempts to overturn the 2020 election.

• DogMuffins
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I couldn’t care less about her claiming to be a Christian - it’s meaningless really.

… but acting to undermine democracy is the antithesis of ethical behavior. I’m not just saying “it’s bad”, I mean that in whatever ethical paradigm you wish to use, acting against the interests of many millions of people for your own benefit is unethical.

She claims that her guilt arises through some sort of negligence, a failure to do the due diligence. If that’s the way she wants to frame it then “egregious” doesn’t begin to describe this failure. Bold claims require bold evidence. Any idiot could see that her client was spreading misinformation and she was complicit. “Knowingly” is barely relevant.

• btaf45@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I couldn’t care less about her claiming to be a Christian - it’s meaningless really.

There are 2 aspects about this I care about. (1). I am getting more and more outraged that Christianity has become a gateway drug for neofascist extremism every time I hear one of these jerks making a big deal about being a “Christian”. (2) The hypocrisy of these “Christians” simply pisses me off. It’s obvious they ignore everything the bible says that they don’t like, so why the pompous arrogance about membership in something you don’t take at all seriously?