We’ve created an updated version of Beeper Mini that fixes an issue that caused messages not to be sent or received. We even added in a few new feature improvements: chats now open at the last unread message, and we polished the video player a bit!

• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

You’re right, except the missing e2e encryption and lack of proper carrier implementations RCS seems pretty great. Hopefully with Apple adopting RCS they’ll push for a proper e2e spec, but I won’t hold my breath to have e2e with anything except Google Messages.

A bit off-topic: My other complaint about RCS is missing open source implementations. The only client available on all devices is Google’s Messages and even that doesn’t work without Google Services.

Also many carriers don’t implement RCS themselves, and instead use Google’s server [1]. This is bad since Google has access to all messages (and probably governments too, similar to recent news about push messages).

Why use RCS with Google Messages through Google servers over WhatsApp? I’m just frustrated about the state of messaging. Broad support across all countries is a big advantage.

[1] https://9to5google.com/2023/03/27/vodafone-rcs-messages-android/