• ForrestGrump
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I know you guys are talking about the US and some things work differently over there, but why should a minimum wage cover more than… the minimum? Want more, do more.

• zarp86@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Because the idea was always that we need a living wage.

It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By “business” I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living. -FDR

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/9075220-it-seems-to-me-to-be-equally-plain-that-no

• ForrestGrump
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

And you can’t live in a single bedroom apartment?

I mean, I would understand if someone didn’t have enough to eat or a roof over their head. A meme about it would be understandable. But why 2 bedrooms? Personally, one is enough for me and I earn a good living.

• LemmysMum@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

And you can’t live in a lay down cubicle?

I mean, I would understand if someone didn’t have enough to eat or a roof over their head. A meme about it would be understandable. But why 1 bedroom? Personally, a rented cage in someone else’s room is enough for me and I earn a good living.

• BirdyBoogleBop@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

You ever worked minimum wage jobs? Loads of them suck and many have to work harder than the better paid jobs.

What would you like the minimum standard of living to be?

• Mesophar@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Minimum amount that can be paid to support a decent quality of living.

Single parents with children.

Ability to have both a bedroom and an office space, for remote work that requires dedicated space. (Not even anything fancy, some call center or support line jobs.)

Like, I understand the thought of “why should minimum wage afford luxuries!?”, but that isn’t what is being implied here, and yes, minimum wage should afford some luxuries anyway.