Whether you’re really passionate about RPC, MQTT, Matrix or wayland, tell us more about the protocols or open standards you have strong opinions on!

• @smileyhead
    link
    651 month ago
    • IPv6, needed for modern Internet not to collapse, would make many other important things easier. Easier to become an ISP, to selfhost, to build P2P networks, etc.
    • GNU Taler, a payment protocol just look at it go: https://101010.pl/@didek/111934952208145427, or just imagine building a payment terminal of a Raspberry Pi
    • Matrix, to unify chat, conference and calling apps
    • some self-arranging darknet protocol becoming a norm like I2P, GNUNet or Yggdrasil, so we could have a backup when mass Internet blockage happen
    • @Secret300@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      161 month ago

I really hope matrix gets native VoIP. I saw like 2 years ago it was in beta, haven’t kept up with it though. I’d also really like voice channels like discord so my friends and I can replace discord but it seems like matrix isn’t interested in being a discord replacement

• ducklingone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        121 month ago

Matrix can be configured to have VoIP. I have it set up on my server. Haven’t tried it in group voice chat setting yet though. Only 1 on 1

• @rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Matrix I have doubts about. The idea of Tox was nicer, but the implementation quality and the scandal at some point didn’t help.

Tox felt more playable, like piping files over it or a remote shell over it (I know, bad associations, but still), or even using it for VPN. I think there were clients allowing to do such stuff, and the protocol allows it.

EDIT: I mean, it’s still alive, just don’t see it claiming the place of FOSS old Skype replacement as it did.

GNUNet - all you people mentioning it have peers? I tried to set it up a few weeks ago, couldn’t get peers.

Yggdrasil - feels cool.

I2P - not intended for that, I think.

• KillingTimeItself
        link
        fedilink
        English
        229 days ago

I2P - not intended for that, I think.

to be clear, I2P is not really intended for anything, it’s used for everything. It supports all kinds of things, and there are people doing all kinds of things on it. Though i could see potential technological limitations being a problem.

• @Cosmiss@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        230 days ago

What scandal did Matrix have? I only just tried out Matrix like a month ago and am unaware of anything like that.

• @smileyhead
        link
        11 month ago

About Tox, I am not a fan of mixing up universal delivering of packets and applications. Piping files or using as VPS feels like something that would be better done with proper full network and not be mixed with chat.

• @smileyhead
        link
        229 days ago

There are no IPv4 addresses left. So you eather go IPv6-only, which would make many services not work. Or wait in a long queue to repurpose address spaces marked as depracated which would soon run out too. And then you put clients behind double or triple NAT doing having shitty service.

• @JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          129 days ago

There’s proctored private resale of IPv4.

A lot of orgs (mine included) are sitting on large chunks of IPs they don’t need (we have a /16 and several /24s) because they adopted early, got an ASN and prefix assigned by ARIN, and their addressing scheme is now so disjointed and scattered that they can’t sell off anything bigger than a /22, and that makes setting up BGP a pain. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze.