• @Forester@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I will happily sell the land under my house to let you store sealed vessels of nuclear material. There permanently. I can do that with 100% confidence because I understand the science involved in the matters. If it’s buried deep enough in a proper container, there is no risk.

• DdCno1
      link
      fedilink
      11 month ago

If it’s so simple, why did a highly developed nation find no solution for it over the course of decades? There are no perfect containers that don’t leak, there is no perfect storage location that doesn’t have a chance of contaminating groundwater. The real world doesn’t work like that.

• @akakunai@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        31 month ago

It’s not considered worth undertaking such an initiative when most nuclear power plants have no problem just leaving the heavy (solid concrete and steel) casks as they are. They are not some looming threat, and they just sit there, outside, taking up a pretty small amount of space on the plants’ property. Nothing else is done because there is no real incentive to move them; no one cares.

• DdCno1
          link
          fedilink
          11 month ago

Just sitting outside, exposed to the elements, changing temperatures and humidity? What a brilliant idea.

There’s a reason we aren’t doing this.

• @IamtheMorgz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            11 month ago

I mean, the containers are steel filled with concrete. We also leave our bridges and buildings outside, exposed to the elements.

The place in the world you are most likely to know the exact amount of radiation you are receiving at any moment is probably at a nuclear power plant. Its not like they just abandon them and never check on them or anything. They sit out in the open just… chillin. Being generally monitored but mostly just… chillin.

• @Forester@yiffit.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            1 month ago

Thankfully we have this miracle invention called paint . You can hit one of these things with a train and you’ll kill the train. The flask will be fine. https://youtu.be/1mHtOW-OBO4?si=_VEjko6YDyKfnz31

We do do this all the time. This is currently the solution. We put it in giant flasks and store it on site because ninnies like you won’t let us bury it

• RBG
      link
      English
      -11 month ago

Good for you. Once you actually do that, report back how its going. Its easy to post a statement like that in an anonymous online forum.

• RBG
          link
          English
          -11 month ago

Mind your language. I can likewise say you only responded to “gotcha” me yourself.

That said, in this case I definitely feel a “put your money where your mouth is” is very much warranted. Because I have not heard of anyone anywhere doing exactly what you are offering. But I knew posting my opinion on this is going to end me up talking about this topic, so that’s all I got to say to you.

Good luck getting your personal radioactive waste storage, would earn you a pretty penny. Best of luck to you!