• AllonzeeLV@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

At the end of the day, if an omnipotent, omniscient God created Satan knowing what satan would become, everything Satan does is on God, even moreso than Satan, as the only one who had a choice was God.

Few if any parents of serial killers would have chosen to have a child if they knew in advance that their child would get arrested for skinning people alive and wearing their faces like a mask.

The Judeo-Christian religions really didn’t give a shit about making their universe’s lore coherent. If god is all powerful and all knowing, they’re also all responsible for their shitty creations and their shitty creation’s actions.

Maybe they should have written God as a powerful fuckup who could create anything but didn’t know everything, it would be a lot more believable given the state of things.

• WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s sort of like how Batman is able to do what he does because he’s 100% committed to training and preparing for his Batmanning, but whenever someone questions whether Batmanning is actually the most effective way to fight crime then somehow he’s also able to devote half his time to philantrophic efforts, because any kind of logic or storytelling coherence must always be secondary to making sure that Batman is right and perfect in everything he does.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Maybe they should have written God as a powerful fuckup who could create anything but didn’t know everything

Kinda like the Greek gods. They’re far more believable because life sucking doesn’t contradict anything that was claimed about them. They’re by and large assholes just like humans.

• bennypr0fane
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Would you say that any religion made sure their lore is coherent? To the best of my knowledge, coherence is completely beside the point in religions, nobody cares.

• AllonzeeLV@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I would say the religions that lean heavily into the very real cyclical nature of the natural world did a much better job. I’m talking about religions like Wicca/Paganism. They are not true, mind you, but they at least attributed traits they observed in nature when extrapolating the traits and dictates of their imaginary friends.

Rather than having a god that defies nature with miracles, those religions made nature itself the manifestation of their worship. It makes them feel less ridiculous because instead of saying an invisible but vaguely bipedal, humanoid god just willed the trees into existence, nature based religions claim that the tree you can see and touch and climb is just an outgrowth of their God Gaia, as are we, aspects of larger divine organism.

At least that kind of belief capable of more congruence with the surrounding world than the Judeo-Christian religions, even though its just as false.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The contract said that after she discovered that the talent was in her the whole time, THEN he gets her soul.

• paddirn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

She/He accepts us for who we are and doesn’t demand that we be some ideal version of ourselves that will never live up to some impossible set of requirements.

• tweeks@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

So I can influence my skill just by the power of mind? Brain continue to self-sabotage.