• Captain Janeway@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I feel this way about coffee. I was a barista for ~5 years of my life. I drink coffee everyday. I’m an advocate for coffee. I love coffee. But I can’t help but feel like it’s going to be demonized in the future for something we’re all missing.

On a related note - though - we also demonize weed, alcohol, and cocaine. All of which used to be very differently consumed back in the day. Alcohol used to be a lot less available. People couldn’t exactly go on benders unless they were the upper class. Weed was way less potent. I really wish I could buy weed that was not literally distilled to a super high quantity of THC or whatever. And cocaine used to just be chewed or drank as coca tea (which I’ve had since it’s super common in Peru).

I feel like the real issue with “problems” in society is humans take a good thing and super-charge it until it becomes a bad thing.

/ramble

• vegivamp@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Alcohol has been relatively common since forever, just not the hard stuff. People used to make cider at home all the time. It was demonized by the religious temperance movement, who basically preached abstinence from everything fun.

Same with weed - a common plant that has been used spiritually, ceremonially and recreationally for literally thousands of years; that one was demonized as a political tool to fight the hippie movement without overtly making it illegal.

Also, first post ever. Figures I’d lose my Lemmy virginity with alcohol and drugs!