The suspect part had been sourced by a supplier in the VW supply chain and not by VW directly, it was claimed.

It came as Volkswagen was hit by additional claims from German media that it had benefitted from human rights abuses in China’s troubled Xinjiang region.

• Fleppensteyn@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

When it comes to chocolate, the US says it’s OK to import products made from slave labor since the violations don’t happen on US territory.

US doesn’t grow chocolate but they do build (crappy) cars. How convenient

• Vegoon@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It was a self report, most likely to avoid harsher consequences. Just like the diesel emissions scandal it is something that would not be persecuted in Germany the same way because the car industry owns the German government.

• trollercoaster@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

If they build crappy cars of their own, they have no need to import crappy cars from abroad. Indeed convenient.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

If you’re a maker of something as complex as cars, and you order a lot of your parts from a country like China, good luck not having anything that benefited from forced labour.

I still can’t believe the west chose, of their own volition, to destroy their own manufacturing base. What a travesty.

• 0x815@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

@TheGrandNagus

If you’re a maker of something as complex as cars, and you order a lot of your parts from a country like China, good luck not having anything that benefited from forced labour.

I still can’t believe the west chose, of their own volition, to destroy their own manufacturing base. What a travesty.

If you don’t understand that, feel free to go to Xinjiang and work in one if the camps there. It may help you understand.

I hope the EU will soon introduce its Supply Chain Law as planned and make the use of forced labour a crime that can be punished.

• ede1998@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I understood his comment as the west chose to outsource a lot of manufacturing to Asia and now does not have the capability to do so locally anymore, i.e. destroyed that manufacturing capability.

• cjk@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Right. And I don’t cry a single tear for VW. They may rott in hell.

But nonetheless it makes me very suspicious that the US has an issue with this…

• skozzii@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

VW consistently shows they have no morals in their leadership.

Never buy a VW vehicle…

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

As a german I agree on principle, but utter lack of morals is hardly noteworthy nowadays. Any kind of large corporation has only one value: profit.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The thing is that enslaving people is a crime in most countries. Wouldn’t it be great if companies had a person responsible for their actions who could then be held responsible for crimes committed in the name or for the benefit of said company?

Unfortunately, nobody seems to be willing or able to prosecute the CEOs of big corporations.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Which big corporation that operates internationally has any morals?

I wouldn’t buy a VW vehicle based on their decline in quality and affordability during the last few decades alone. If you don’t want to buy products that contain components or materials made by Chinese, or really, any, slave labour, you’ll have a hard time buying any industrial product. Of course, the usage of slave labour by corporations needs to be stopped, but as an individual, that’s hardly possible, because often you don’t have any choice. This problem needs concerted action by governments, ideally with personal consequences for the people responsible.

• branchial@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

oh no not the evil forced labour in china

I say as I eat another delicious Kit Kat™ chocolate bar