• Dieguito 🦝@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Guys you are late, this piece of news is one month old and there has not been any turmoil in Italy for this, not even by leftists…

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Addressed to the Darus Salaam Muslim cultural association on Via Duca d’Aosta, the envelope was received soon after Monfalcone’s far-right mayor, Anna Maria Cisint, banned prayers on the premises.

Such a positive demographic trend would ordinarily spell good news in a country grappling with a rapidly declining birthrate, but in Monfalcone, where Cisint has been nurturing an anti-Islam agenda since winning her first mandate in 2016, the rise has not been welcomed.

The town’s population growth is mostly attributed to the sprawling shipyard owned by the state-controlled giant Fincantieri, whose policy of outsourcing labour over the past two decades led to a huge inflow of skilled foreign workers, mainly from Bangladesh.

Asked to comment on “the Monfalcone situation” during a press conference in early January, Meloni, who has long railed against “Islamisation” in Europe, said: “Those who choose to live in Italy must respect Italian norms.”

Konate said Monfalcone’s Muslims have always respected the laws, proof of which is seen in the town’s extremely low crime rate, and that the mayor’s motive was to curtail their Italian constitutional right to pray.

Nahida Akhter, a 27-year-old student and daughter of a Fincantieri worker who has lived in Monfalcone since she was a child, said at a recent meeting: “It’s important to have this group to share ideas and help change the opinion of those who are fixated on the same prejudices.”

The original article contains 1,000 words, the summary contains 230 words. Saved 77%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!