• Cypher@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

To have in one year a 25 per cent increase in domestic violence is just unheard of, and that’s in one year," she said.

So despite the enormous increase in domestic violence Katarina Carroll was determined to pursue youth crime, which as I understand it based on reporting by the ABC, has actually decreased despite a few horrific headling grabbing crimes.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-30/queensland-youth-crime-long-term-data-downward-abs-police/102917994

Last week, Commissioner Carroll spoke to cabinet about youth crime, asking the government for more warrantless “wand” search powers, and an extension of GPS ankle monitors on young offenders.

Doesn’t seek more powers to discipline officers, just seeks more warrantless powers to harass the population.

ACAB. She will not be missed.

• cuppaconcrete@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I don’t think “ACAB” is a great credo, and it’s probably a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don’t dehumanise cops, most of them really are trying to help.

• Cypher@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Most cops will do nothing to stop the bad cops, and as we all know, one bad apple spoils the bunch.

Look at their focus, it’s always on more powers with less oversight.

it’s probably a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Claims without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Show me evidence that being critical of police causes an increase in police violence (other than police targeting and beating people critical of them), over reach of powers, of increased police lobbying for more powers and less oversight and we can talk.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Queensland’s Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll has denied being a “scapegoat” as she announces she will step down from the top job next week.

She was appointed to the role in 2019, becoming the first woman in the position after serving as commissioner of the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service.

Commissioner Carroll said it was her decision to step down and that it was time for “new leadership” to let the focus turn to the work of her officers.

Last week, Commissioner Carroll spoke to cabinet about youth crime, asking the government for more warrantless “wand” search powers, and an extension of GPS ankle monitors on young offenders.

Those murders, and the on-duty death of Senior Constable Dave Masters in June 2021, were her darkest days, she said.

Police Minister Mark Ryan said Commissioner Carroll had “kept her oath” to serve Queensland.

The original article contains 353 words, the summary contains 140 words. Saved 60%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!