• Renacles@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I wanted to like Stormgate but it feels too much like StarCraft from Wish, it doesn’t do a lot to differentiate itself.

• wahming@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Starcraft was pretty good if you ignore the mtx. I’d be happy with a non-predatory starcraft.

• Renacles@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah, but you’d expect a new rts from the same devs to be better than StarCraft 2 after so many years.

• Renacles@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

They already got a ton of money and expect to release the game this year, it’s a weird thing to ask.

• ampersandrew@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

This feels like the moment that people should be using to come to the conclusion that video game budgets and development timelines are unsustainable.

• BurningnnTree@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is weird. I wonder if this type of crowdfunding will catch on.

I’m interested in Stormgate and I want it to succeed, but being able to invest in it like this kinda gives it scammy vibes.

• Z4XC@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

For me I think it depends on insider ownership. If the management and developers are holding reasonable stakes then it encourages putting out a product that is profitable… I convinced myself out of it, profitable doesn’t always mean good.

• THCDenton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Nope. I learned my lesson with planetary annihilation. Beyond all reason is better and open source. I bet we’ll get an open source starcraft killer soon enough.