Something i haven’t seen posted here yet, but worth say over and over again.

Murphy’s law says that anything that can go wrong will go wrong… but with the 3-2-1 strategy in place, your data always survives.

• Wingy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

What’s the best way to make an offsite backup for 42tb at this point with 20mbps of bandwidth? It would take over 6 months to upload while maxing out my connection.

Maybe I could sneakernet an initial backup then incrementally replicate?

• npastaSyn@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Outside my depth but I’ll give it a stab. Identify what data is important, (is the full 42Tb needed?). Can the data be split into easier to handle chunks?

If it is, then I personally do an initial sneakernet to get the fist set of data over. Then mirror different on a regular basis.

• -RYknow@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it’s as equally important to remember; A backup is not back up… Until you’ve restored from it.

Test your backups, folks.

• saturnonice@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

any opinions about leaving a drive or two at work? I’m wondering if there’s any risk to this, but it seems a convenient way to have off-site storage if I leave a couple drives in my drawer at work. encrypted of course…

• bot@darmok.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My only concern would be if you end up leaving the company it might look suspicious when you’re packing up some hard drives along with the rest of the stuff from your desk. Particularly if you’re laid off, fired, etc.

• worfamerryman@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I really need to figure out a good offsite backup solution. I have tons of local backups. And I have the data in google drive, but I really want to store a physical backup somewhere.

I think I’d should pickup a cheap portable hard drive that I can leave at my mother-in-laws house.

Just have my personal and work stuff backed up there and I can update it each time I go to visit.

• npastaSyn@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Portable HD 2Tb is under $100. Well worth the investment. I committed on doing a good routine beginning of the year, (after putting it off for many years). Starting now is better than not at all.

• worfamerryman@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, you are 100% right.

I won’t be heading to my mother in laws house for a while. But next time I’m there, I’ll get one and set it up.