• Swuden@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I don’t get their motivation behind this change. I mean I read the write-up they posted, but I don’t get how they could seriously think this is a better experience for users.

• TehSr0c@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

it’s a better experience for corpos that want their brand name to be uniquely identifiable.

• verysoft@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Their blogpost was complete gaslight, none of the points they listed made any sense.

It was literally just look more like a mainstream social platform, there are rumours of an IPO…

• FindingFocus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

They even let us pick the numbers! That’s why I got Nitro originally! I’d have never paid for years of nitro without that feature, in fact.

• OtakuAltair@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I wish revolt was more popular smh

They recently added display names while keeping the tags as a direct ‘fuck you’ to discord lol

• Aurix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I frankly have no idea why you would prefer it over Discord other than open source access. Revolt dissuades from self-hosting, is non-federating, has no stable business model and lacks in features. It is a prototype for a future where Discord catastrophically burns down.

• jiji@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It is a prototype for a future where Discord catastrophically burns down.

To be fair, between Twitter and now Reddit, it’s not exactly a bad idea to have alts and backups lol.

• RandomLegend@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

@OtakuAltair

Do you know if it’s possible to:

1. Somehow add Discord Servers to Revolt? Like a bridge in matrix to whatsapp for example?
      2. Add Bots / Webhooks like Discord? I have multiple servers and setup alerts that use a discord bot.
    • 000@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s based on nitro but also how old your account is. I don’t have nitro but joined in 2016 and got a message to update mine last week

• Otome-chan@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

oh my old discord account was banned a while back so I had made a new one lol. I guess that’s why. I also don’t pay for nitro.

• Aurix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I frankly have no idea why you would prefer it over Discord other than open source access. Revolt dissuades from self-hosting, is non-federating, has no stable business model and lacks in features. It is a prototype for a future where Discord catastrophically burns down.

• NotAPenguin@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I still don’t understand why people are so mad at this.

Before you were forced to have numbers in your name and now you get a choice, the numbers aren’t forced on you.

Isn’t more choice better?

• sheepyowl@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Let’s be real - it literally makes no difference at all. I don’t know why they did it considering it makes absolutely 0 difference from a user standpoint.