• APassenger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Are there any anti-Biden headlines you don’t share here?

That’s not a challenge, that’s me noting your single mindedness on this topic. I really don’t know what your endgame is here other than a Trump presidency.

• kava@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

This is news. What are you criticizing him for? That he has to modulate what he posts to conform to what you think is correct?

This little hiccup in Michigan is a foreshadowing of what is about to happen in November and people need to accept that reality fairly quickly. Biden’s done for. He is losing 5/6 battleground states he won last time.

• kava@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

The guy is probably biased against Biden. But I think it’s important to have different views in communities like this. If we were to hold the election today, Biden would lose 6~7 times out of 10.

People need to realize this and posting only pro-Biden news (which is very common here) will not properly inform people of the facts on the ground.

• APassenger@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

You clearly didn’t understand what I wrote.

First part or second.

Edit: your down vote only makes this more embarrassing for you.

• return2ozma@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Everybody already knows Trump is a fraud, idiot, scum, etc. Just look at how many anti Trump articles are in the sub. The other people here have it covered.

What exactly is it that you would like me to do for you?

• APassenger@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

Read. With comprehension. What I wrote?

Because you’re responding to what you heard, not what I said.

Edit to be clearer: my topic is that you fish every possible anti-Biden article you can remotely make fly here.

• return2ozma@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

The articles are a lot better than the anti-Trump ones for engagement. Anti-Trump articles go like this… Trump sucks… You are so right!.. Yeah Trump sucks!.. Yes I agree! The end.

Articles critical of Biden get actual discussion from the entire political spectrum.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

The same thing every centrist would like from everyone to their left: they want you to shut up forever.

• APassenger@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

I’m hardly centrist. I can just think a few moves ahead.

Like: can you give me a name of a better candidate who polls well enough against Trump? If you have one, I’m very open to supporting a viable candidate further to the left.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 months ago

And there we go. The accusation that any criticism of Biden is advocacy for Trump. Like clockwork.

• APassenger@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  4 months ago

Check my post history. I’ve been critical.

But posting MULTIPLE, endless, never-miss-a-negative story… That’s not criticism. That’s not saying this Gaza thing was woefully mishandled.

That’s not making a point.

It’s just Biden-hate. They posted an article that attempted to make a big deal about his physical not including a mental eval. They are fishing for anything anti-Biden.

Criticism is topical. This person’s topic is hating Biden.

Edit: On a thread about voting “uncommitted,” how that plays out in November is directly relevant.

• Comrade GitGud@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s almost like complicity in a genocide might potentially be unpopular in some segments of the American public. Crazy.

• BertramDitore@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m genuinely surprised and disgusted by the bloodthirsty warmongering of the majority of elected democrats. I’m a far left Jew, not that that should matter at all, but I feel like a lot of elected officials look to people like me for permission to get all riled up and hungry for genocide. But we as Jews should be the loudest voices in the room calling for a complete and immediate ceasefire and immediate negotiations to get the Palestinians the state they obviously deserve. Because, you know, “never forget”….or some such clearly disingenuous aphorism.

It’s despicable to me that anyone, let alone Jews in Israel and beyond, thinks that what Israel is doing is remotely acceptable. We will never get back the moral high ground.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Part of the problem is the lack of distinction between Zionism and Judaism, and even after that the distinction between forms and levels of Zionism. For instance there’s been a lot of Orthodox Jews in and outside of Israel who protest against this conflict for varying reasons, most on a genuine moral basis though some for more mundane religious reasons. This isn’t even to mention all the Jewish leftists who protest against the conflict as well solely on humanitarian grounds.

Unfortunately what doesn’t get covered by the Neoliberal and Corporate (read: Moderate Fascist) media is all the suppression of these protests, especially within Israel by the Fascist Likud party-led government. Haaretz will occasionally do some real reporting and cover this kind of stuff from inside Israel but most Israeli left voices are strongly suppressed within Israel itself, and leftist parties are pushed to the margins of the Knesset. Because of this marginalization, the loudest anti-war Jewish voices come from outside Israel itself, where they have no direct influence over it, but at least are less likely to be jailed for their protests.

• ctkatz@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I’m not a fan of state sponsored genocide either. but I can only blame progressives for this situation. for the progressive base, if a candidate doesn’t hit every. single. one. of their pet issues, they won’t vote. and if they do vote but their candidate loses they get all upset and tune out and snipe at what the actual elected democrats are (or are not) doing.

instead of tuning out, they should have been getting involved either running for elected office or running for local party positions themselves. look at the republican party. they didn’t all of a sudden go fringe batshit crazy overnight. they built up a bench of insane by running for stuff on the local levels and taking over the party from the inside.

if you want change, y’all are going to have to put in the sweat equity and work for it. just voting is not going to be sufficient anymore. and this is something that I have never seen the progressive base do when they have the numbers to do it. I can definitely tell you that withholding your vote is a 100% guarantee that none of your issues get addressed because the thinking in the party will be, “this bloc of voters are not reliable. putting in the resources and doing what a group of flakey voters wants is a waste of time and money. best to focus on people who are reliable and reliably voting for us already.” and if the people who actually vote say our foreign policy is fine, that’s what the party is going to do.

• SquirtleHermit@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

That’s weird, I blame the people committing and/or supporting the Genocide. But I guess making a strawman out of Progressives behavior is another option.

• BertramDitore@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I am part of the progressive base, far left of it on most days, and I vote in every single election for the candidates who reflect my values, but I also think a lot about who I think has the best chance of winning. That means more than I’d like I end up voting with the mainstream neoliberals because I’m pragmatic and understand that progress is incremental and hard. But I always vote.

I think a lot of progressives are realists, and understand that you campaign on what you want, but you govern with what you have. That means always pushing back against and criticizing actual elected democrats, even if they’re my preferred candidate. That’s how a healthy democracy is supposed to work. Of course we’re critical of the other side, but since we actually have the slightest influence over elected officials in our party, it make sense that we’d always try to keep them honest and pull them as far to our side as we can while they’re in office, wielding the power our vote gave them.

I think to some extent we’re saying the same thing, I don’t think people should withhold their vote. Except maybe in primaries, depending on the situation that’s probably fine. But as a part of the base you’re describing, I think most people are pretty smart with how they vote, and at least the progressives I know are all pretty pragmatic.

• Crashumbc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

And yet their response is going to be to help get an actual Nazi dictator (or at least wannabe) elected.

There is NO scenario where this turns out good for them. Do they actually think Trump is going to help their cause? He is more likely to just. give Israel nukes…

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

In all likelihood, Israel already has nukes so that’s pretty much a non-issue. Trump would likely give Israel just as much or more support (the only confounding factor is that he’s extremely cheap but US money isn’t his own money so this may not be a factor), but when a genocide is occurring and both candidates are pursuing a course of complicity, degrees of complicity approach meaninglessness. Your best bet is to reshuffle the deck in order to get a candidate who won’t support genocide. Biden should be primaried, but the DNC functionaries likely won’t permit this in practice (of course in theory the primary will proceed, just without party support or acknowledgement), so the sooner he’s out of office the sooner he can be replaced by someone who might not be comfortable with complicity in a genocide.

• Crashumbc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

That’s nice in theory, but the reality is, regardless of what the main stream media says. Trump is an EXTREME threat to the future of democracy in this country.

This is a fuck around and find out moment. He wins and you won’t have a chance to “reshuffle” anything now or in 4 years…

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

For starters, the democracy that permits a candidate like Trump to end it is perhaps a democracy worth ending, especially if it’s a democracy that provides so poorly for its people that they genuinely believe he’s worth electing.

Second, I think it’s hyperbolic. Even with Jan. 6th, he still came nowhere near the coup that mainstream media made it out to be. The people who entered the capitol weren’t hardened rebels or dissidents. There were a few with some means mixed in, but by and large they behaved like tourists, with some acting as vandals, and largely incited (read “entrapped”) and monitored by the FBI. This also isn’t out of character for the FBI, as it had plenty of Muslims they entrapped in the years following 9/11, including one man who was intellectually disabled.

Third and lastly, obviously the Democratic party doesn’t think this is a big emergency, since they’ve had virtually no reaction to polls indicating Biden’s flailing numbers. If they thought this was an emergency then they might do something like encourage primary candidates or for him to step down. If they’re so confident Trump isn’t getting reelected, then I am too.

• FenrirIII@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It’s fine to want your elected representatives to be good people. But I wouldn’t count on any politician at that level

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Well, 2 out of 117 delegates.

The sentiment is nice, though sadly Palestine loses either way since we can’t get a President Uncommitted in the white house who will cut ties with Israel tomorrow.

• ctkatz@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

is it really?

if that’s what you need to do to console yourselves after getting shellacked last night, go ahead.

that’s 2 delegates out of 117 on offer.

people who are concerned about how biden is handling gaza were always going to be heard because that’s how biden rolls. nothing has changed in this regard. and if those are the only 2 delegates who can uncommitted out of almost 2000 who officially vote for the candidate and set the convention schedule it’s virtually nothing.

• ctkatz@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

you continue to assume that all of those uncommitted voters will be not biden voters in november and you assume that all of the haley voters will vote for trump. you are also assuming that everyone who voted in the primary are the total number of people who will be voting in november.

I’m not the one who doesn’t understand how voting works here.

• kava@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Michigan is full of Arabs and they cannot tolerate a president openly embracing the prime Minister of Israel while Israel slaughters Palestinians.

They are sure as shit not going to vote for Biden and Biden is going to lose Michigan. Look at the polls.