Ads from household-name brands and nonprofits are appearing beside clips of a film blaming Jews for causing World War II.

• rcoelho14@kbin.socialOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Always has been 👩🏽‍🚀🔫👩🏽‍🚀

Companies have no moral, if they could get more money by selling children to the highest bidder, they would.
        Many already make use of child labour in asian countries anyway.
        Not to speak about the changing laws in some US states lowering minimum age for working, bringing back child labour.
        It’s always money.

• ZodTheOdd@forum.fail
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I stopped advertising there years ago. I have a 501©3 and I couldn’t allow my charity to be trashed for simply existing. They cater to the angriest people on the planet. I hope that doesn’t replicate itself here.

• aetris@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Twitter also used to not put ads on the same screen as any post labelled as “Sensitive Content,” they removed that restriction a few weeks ago I noticed.

• swope@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

But also I can’t help feeling sad because Twitter has been valuable for so many reasons to a lot of people.

• cowvin@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

No business is a force for good. They are all there to make a profit. If they appear to be doing good, it’s because that image is one that they feel is profitable. It can change at a moment’s notice if they decide that going a different direction is profitable (e.g. Twitter).

• sparkplug49@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

While I agree this is a problem, it should be noted that the youtube adpocolips was triggered by similar concern on cherry picked examples that hurt creators in the end. We should be promoting the idea that algorithmically served ads are not an endorsement of what they are served with. The neo nazi stuff is a content moderation problem that needs to be fixed because of … you know … gestures broadly.

• aetris@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Except Twitter does not view it as a content moderation problem and users of Twitter don’t benefit from ads. If Elon wants ad revenue he should ban these people from the platform, instead he does the opposite.

• Soltros@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not even really surprised. And you know, now that this article is live, these companies are going to complain, and stop advertising for like a month, and then silently go back to advertising when everyone forgets.

• lixus98@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m sure they fired the person in charge with reviewing ads. But also they probably endorse these type of ads, hate sells.