cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/12845452

EU demands answers over Apple’s latest Epic Games twist — Bloc seeks explanation after Cupertino terminates Fortnite maker’s developer account

• infotainment@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

At this point, I feel like Apple is just playing chicken with the EU. If this isn’t “gatekeeping” (ie, the thing the DMA is supposed to prevent), then I’m not sure what would be.

• Septimaeus@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

IIRC Epic has been caught several times in the past few years breaking store rules, like sidestepping the platform payment system and misrepresenting data collection attestation. I don’t think it’s anti-competitive to decline to sign a vendor’s apps. I mean, I like Epic’s developer platform, but it sounds like their lawyers are high if they think EU courts will force another company to do business with them, especially if management has been intentionally abusing the system.

• misk@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Digital Markets Act is literally about forcing tech giants to do businesses with their competitors.

• misk@sopuli.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

It’s not like it’s the first time we do antitrust legislation this way. It worked before and there’s nothing different about this case.

• Septimaeus@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Well the EU is being more proactive about it than over here in the US. Our regulatory bodies have been hobbled continually for decades, and now I guess we just let these giant corporations do whatever they want.