• rayyy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

So, why don’t we wait a couple of weeks and see if it is a distraction, or not? The US is currently air dropping and attempting to truck food in but it is not enough, hence the pier. Don’t think for one minute Putin’s trolls aren’t trying to capitalize on this.

• ElCanut@jlai.luOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Are you accusing Doctors without borders of being Putin’s trolls ? Please read the article, the implication of the US in this conflict is total, and it is abnormal that we can’t criticize it without being accused of working for the Kremlin.

Maybe the US dual party system has made people think that you’re either for Biden or Putin, but I assure you it’s perfectly normal to endorse neither of them. The fact that I’m anti-Putin does not mean I can’t criticize the US position, especially when internationally recognized experts (like doctors without borders, Amnesty international, UN,…) criticize it

• ganksy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I don’t think anyone is saying criticism/scepticism is bad in any way. I also don’t think most are just blindly taking what a politician/government says as fact.

I take these actions with a grain of salt just like most and assume nothing Biden or the government does is altruistic. I also have a hard time believing it’s all of nefarious intentions.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

When have America attempted food truck aid?

So, why don’t we wait a couple of weeks

Good idea tell the Palestinians to live on photosynthesis for two months while Biden buys time for Netanyahu to Genocide more.

• NoneOfUrBusiness@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Uh… People are dying now. Now it’s infants and children, soon it’ll be more children (the infants will’ve all died) and old people, then the adults will be next. And we’re talking actual starvation; people have been dying of malnutrition-induced illness for some time now. By the time those “couple of weeks” pass half of Gaza will be dead.

• eatthecake@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

If this was meant to distract people from the fact that Israel is stopping aid getting into Gaza then it’s not working. More the reverse I think.

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I dont think Biden is trying to distract people. I think if anything the move points out the extreme measures the US is willing to go through to get aid to people in a territory controlled by what is supposed to be a close ally who is refusing to cooperate.

The pier is both an answer, if a bad one, and a glaring, flashing red light that the Biden admin has committed to prodding the Israel goverment with. It carries with it the threat of “we may put US soliders on the ground in Gaza,” which would drastically shift the scope and direction of thr US/Israel relationship, a relationship that has been intensely beneficial to Israel. A change in its status quo will only be negative from a domestic and foreign policy standpoint locally.

It has indeed already prompted intense attention to Israel border police refusing to arrest or stop Israeli protestors calling for genocide that have been blocking the land routes for over a month. They have just now finally started apprenhending those protesters, but aid is still not getting in by Israel’s choice.

• ⓝⓞ🅞🅝🅔@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

This is not a logistics problem; it is a political problem. Rather than look to the US military to build a work-around, the US should insist on immediate humanitarian access using the roads and entry points that already exist.

Exactly. The pier is unnecessary. As an additional supplement, sure. But as the primary means to addresses the crisis… this is a poor solution.

If the plight of Gazan civilians mattered to the US government, then this is not the way. There’s much more direct and timely solutions that are intentionally being bypassed.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

"The US plan for a temporary pier in Gaza to increase the flow of humanitarian aid is a glaring distraction from the real problem: Israel’s indiscriminate and disproportionate military campaign and punishing siege.** The food, water, and medical supplies so desperately needed by people in Gaza are sitting just across the border**. Israel needs to facilitate rather than block the flow of supplies.** This is not a logistics problem; it is a political problem.** Rather than look to the US military to build a work-around, the US should insist on immediate humanitarian access using the roads and entry points that already exist.

In the past months, the US has vetoed three UN Security Council resolutions calling for a ceasefire—which is the only way to ensure a real scale up in emergency assistance. We reiterate our call for an immediate and sustained ceasefire to stop the killing of thousands more civilians and allow for the delivery of desperately needed humanitarian aid."