List:

• Maxpedition Falcon II backpack
  • Nalgene 1L water bottle
  • Wet wipes
  • 2x datrex food rations (usually also have a few granola bars too)
  • First aid kit
  • ThruNite TC15 V2
  • Handkerchief
  • Scrap leather
  • Anker Powercore Redux 10,000mAh battery bank in leather pouch I made
  • Rite in the Rain notebook
  • Maxpedition Micro with various charging cables in it
  • Sunglasses
  • Pocket Ref book
  • Knipex 71 01 160 bolt cutters
  • Leather tool pouch that I made
  • Swiss Champ SAK
  • Lip balm
  • Multi-color pen
  • Sharpie
  • Mirror
  • Comb
  • Bic lighter
  • Paracord
  • Knife-sharpening stone
  • Dr. Slick forceps
  • Zip ties
  • zzap@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

nice load out… I am interested what tools are in your tool pouch?

I too carry lots of stuff with me in my backpack, but try to not overpack it. have many similar things like you.

I like to spend quite a bit of time outdoors and I carry some more items you dont have. might be interesting…

spoon. spoon is always good.

toothbrush for spontaneous overnighters

extra socks, because dry feet are happy feet.

sawyer water filter

now in summer I added a tick removal tool.

a dollar store rainponcho. Just in case I forgot to pack or dont want to carry a jacket or to give to someone else.

a bright colored cotton tote bag. mostly used for extra storage for grocery shopping, but can be used to wipe stuff clean, for organization inside the backpack and can be used as a pillow with clothes stuffed inside. Also, If I need to transport stuff longer than a car trunk can fit, the law says you need to attach some signal colored sign or cloth to it. so I got that covered.

I carry a space blanket in my backpack. was handy one time when my car broke down and I could give it to my GF so she could stay warm and dry. was a big help and calmed her down when she was panicking. so I keep one in my bag now. again this is lightweight, compact and waterproof.

I always have a big heavy duty trashbag . Compact/lightweight and useful. I found uses for this quite a lot. as ground cover to sit or lie on, you can make a rain poncho or shelter, use it as a improvised tarp, protect your stuff in heavy rain, collect water, line your backpack, wash clothes inside… or just use it as a trash bag. I work with paint sometimes, so I also use it as reusable cover for tables/surfaces. I use this quite a bit.

I also need duct tape often. I always have some about 1-2 meter duct tape wrapped around an old card/piece of cardboard. takes no space and is useful as hell. comes in useful 1-2 times a week. I also have small tube with quick super glue.

and I always have thread+needle with me (not in the backpack, on person, in my wallet). again, takes no space, and is hard to replace/improvise when you need it (and when you need it, it is usually really important, like when you have torn trousers/jacket or a problem with your backpack). for extra strong thread you can use dental floss.

and… don’t laugh… I also have a cutting board or cutting mat in my backpack! it stabilizes my pack, protects my computer better, and I can obviously cut paper or food on it or use it for writing/drawing/printing. I also can sit or kneel on it when needed, use it to write on it and make a waterproof sign, and it can help starting a fire.

Lastly, I recently made a small lightweight cooking kit that fits in an altoids tin. it has 3 long nails, pot/cup-stand, the cooker is a small reusable metal container I filled with ethanol gel (enough to cook 0.5 to 1l of water comfortably) and some aluminium foil for windshield/lid. There was some space left, so I also put in a tea light candle, spare utility blade, some metal paper clips (for setting up the windshield) and a few neodym magnets (useful and nothing rattles) and coffee. I love me some coffee, so this little kit was used a lot recently! my water bottle can be nested in a metal cup, so the cup takes up no extra space.

• The Sourcerer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I started adding an additional headlamp flashlight to my bags - in an emergency I may need my hands available. Has been the better choice when there’s something I need to fix or work on at night.

• zzap@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Not OP, but I have a small AA/14500 flashlight I can clip to my hat, so usually I dont need a dedicated headlamp.

I carry a second flashlight in my backpack that has 5000mah 21700 cell, USB C port, and has a powerbank function. It also has a silicone diffusor for lantern use and a magnet (Wurkkos TS21, can recommend)

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Ah! But then you need a dedicated hat. 😆 Definitely an additional +1 to any kit.

Also, what’s this second flashlight with a silicone diffusor? Got a model/name for it?

• zzap@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I always have a hat because I shave my head several times a week. Need a hat against the sun or against the cold anyway.

The second one in the bag with diffusor is the Wurkkos TS21.

For the one in my pocket… currently the Wurkkos TS10. This one cannot take AA, but 14500 cells with chargeports exist. But there are some other nice AA compatible 14500 lights. Convoy T3 for example. Or Skilhunt E2A, Acebeam Rider, Skilhunt M150…

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I don’t mind the USB flashlights since I am always carrying around a back-up power bank with swappable USB cables in both my car and my bag.

I’ll have to check out the silicon diffusor I never thought of using one on any flashlight… I’m sure there are some that work on any flashlight (sized to fit or not).