I have this old pair of Technics SB-3130, they are three way speakers. Both of the super tweeters are dead (infinite resistance) and I’m not sure if this impact the range of frequency feeded to the tweeter. Given the schematic diagram, if I remove the super tweeter, should I modify something to have all the high frequencied to the tweeter?

• Telstarado@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Rather than modify the circuit to try to work around the bad super tweeters I’d try to match its specs (probably just tops out at a higher frequency than the regular tweeter) with a replacement tweeter from Parts Express. Looks like there’s an inductor (?) crossing both +/- on the regular tweeter that’s probably soldered to a board and accessing it and attempting to bypass it is probably a bigger job than just replacing the super tweeter and will likely have unintended effects that may include killing the regular tweeter as well. Replacing the super tweeter is almost certainly the path of least resistance and will preserve the frequency response of the original design as much as is possible - should be pretty close.

• 1ko@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Thanks. I haven’t told the whole story. In fact one of the tweeter is also dead. As I don’t plan to invest for such an old piece of hardware (I’m not even sure they are particularly good to begin with), I had the idea to replace both tweeters with a pair of Visaton FR8JS who are cheap, have convincing specs and will fit perfectly in the hole of the previous tweeters. I did not find a match for super tweeters ( and I don’t want to modify the cabinet). The crossover circuit is easily accessible (solderer on the other side of the connectors plate) so il would try to bypass the crossover.

• Telstarado@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Gotcha. Should be able to connect the new tweeter before the original inductor “L2” and get good performance - I wouldn’t bypass the crossover completely or you’ll likely blow the new tweeters, and the sound wouldn’t be as good as it would be running the tweeter through the crossover.