A community near Hanford (if you’ve seen Oppenheimer, Hanford is the nuclear production complex that produced plutonium for the Manhattan Project) has voted to oust three school board members this week. Back in February of 2022, this trio of members voted to defy the mask mandate in effect in Washington State, throwing the school district into chaos and forcing the superintended to close all schools for two days.

What makes this kind of a big deal is that, while Washington State has been very blue for many years, this community is located in the much redder eastern side of the state, and votes consistently Republican each election. Now, school board elections are supposed to be non-partisan, but we all know how the Republican party has started endorsing candidates in these non-partisan elections, and the election where this trio was elected was no different.

As someone from this community, it often feels hopeless when the candidates I vote for lose by considerable margins. This particular election shows that there IS hope, given the right amount of motivation and turnout (this is a BIG turnout for a non-presidential election!). I’m proud of what this effort accomplished!

• Hairyblue@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Why risk children’s health or even death? If parents didn’t want their children to wear a mask to protect others, they could have kept them home. Crazy.

• Raging LibTarg@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Why risk children’s health or even death?

Because, a dangerous number of folks with a proclivity for believing disinformation/misinformation and/or with (in my opinion) Oppositional Defiant Disorder didn’t believe COVID 19 was all that serious and/or refused to be “told what to do”. They put our children in danger because they know better than the experts, or because “YOU’Re NOt The BOsS OF mE NOw!”, or some combination of both.

• Hairyblue@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

True. I wouldn’t know if I could live with myself if an unmasked kid got sick and died IF I had went against the medical professionals mandatory mask rule. Wouldn’t you always think that you are the reason that child is dead? Who would want that on their conscience.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Willing to kill your kids to own the libs.

These fucks love to act like they are “true patriots” and that supposedly family comes first and all the other feel-good imagery that conservatives love to project. Except that their actions, as always, show their true colors.