• kae@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Starting in December, single-use items such as plastic shopping bags, disposable food service accessories, oxo-degradable plastics and food service packaging made of polystyrene foam, PVC, PVDC, compostable or biodegradable plastics will no longer be allowed to be sold in B.C.

This is needed both in the short and long term. I’ll be curious to see what solutions pop up to replace what we’ve become used to.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

compostable or biodegradable plastics will no longer be allowed to be sold

This is needed both in the short and long term

If you hate biodegradable and compostable things, you’re the baddie. The math seems solid.

• giantshortfacedbear@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m mean, they are better than the non-degradable plastics, but it’s not like they breakdown remotely fast. Those products are more greenwash, [airquotes] biodegradable

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

it’s not like they [break down] remotely fast

Okay, I’m hitting the (qualified) opinion pieces and I’m seeing the issues like the microplastic intermediate stage and the low ‘success’ rate of plastic breaking down after a 6 month period (which I’m assuming isn’t arbitrary).

You’ve forced me to learn, dammit. Thanks (Thanks; I hate it?)