cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/13521509

The intimacy ban that had been in place for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics has been lifted for the 2024 Paris Olympics, and the Olympic village, where the athletes stay during the event, will be stocked with 300,000 condoms, Laurent Michaud, director of the village, told Sky News.

In an interview about the upcoming games, which will be held in the French capital from July 26 to Aug. 11, Michaud said they are preparing for 14,250 residents at the village and are aiming to have 300,000 condoms for the athletes.

Rules on intimacy went into effect for the 2020 Olympics that were held in Tokyo, Japan in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To help prevent the virus from spreading, athletes were asked to limit their physical contact with each other, keeping about six and a half feet between them, except when necessary, like on the field.

Providing condoms at the Olympics has been a tradition since the 1988 Seoul Olympics, as an effort to raise awareness for HIV and AIDS, according to CBS Sports. In Tokyo, officials still handed out 150,000 condoms – even though the intimacy rules prevented any scenarios to use them.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

In an interview about the upcoming games, which will be held in the French capital from July 26 to Aug. 11, Michaud said they are preparing for 14,250 residents at the village and are aiming to have 300,000 condoms for the athletes.

To help prevent the virus from spreading, athletes were asked to limit their physical contact with each other, keeping about six and a half feet between them, except when necessary, like on the field.

As part of the COVID-19 guidelines, athletes were only allowed to leave their accommodations to attend the competitors and under a few other circumstances.

Those who broke the rules were subjected to consequences from the International Olympic Committee, not being allowed to participate in competitions.

The World Health Organization ended the global COVID-19 health emergency in 2023 and this year, the Center for Disease Control amended its COVID-19 guidelines, creating a"unified, practical approach to addressing risk" from the virus alongside influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, and shortening the isolation period.

The Olympic village will be located about 4 miles north of the city’s center, providing athletes and staff a convenient place to stay and socialize during the games.

The original article contains 536 words, the summary contains 195 words. Saved 64%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Skyrmir@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

This makes me think there’s some coverage of the Olympics that would be a lot more exciting than what we’re seeing now.