Most people can picture images in their heads - the look of an apple, the appearance of their kitchen or the smile of their best friend - but not everyone can.

Those who cannot visualise anything in their mind’s eye are probably among 1% of people with extreme aphantasia, according to a review of studies on the phenomenon.

They are also less likely to recognise faces, remember the sound of a piece of music or the feel of sandpaper, and more likely to work in science, maths or computing.

And up to 6% of people may experience some degree of aphantasia.

It is not a disorder and does not imply a lack of imagination but can have subtle effects on everyday life, says Prof Adam Zeman, honorary professor of neurology at the University of Exeter, who came up with the term nearly 10 years ago.

• CarbonatedPastaSauce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I have aphantasia. I never knew it was a thing, or that not being able to picture things in my mind was different from what most people experience until I saw a Ted talk about it a few years ago.

I am a creative person but my creations are very iterative because I have to make something, see it, then decide how I want to change it. But it’s very difficult for me to get a sense of what each change will actually look like until I make it. And inevitably I will need to change more once I see the next stage. So there’s a lot of trial and error, or a lot of ‘versions’ before I’m done.

This only affects visual stuff - painting, molding, drawing, planning to construct something and visualizing the final form, etc. Even just thinking about how a room will look by rearranging furniture is difficult until I actually start moving things.

If I’m creating something that’s not visual, say just writing a story, it’s not an issue.

• corvus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Recently I started playing chess and it came to my mind that it’s an impossible task for you.

• CarbonatedPastaSauce@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

You’re right, I am not good at chess because even with the board in front of me it’s incredibly taxing to try to visualize even a couple moves ahead.

• Cyth@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

One of my favorite authors, Mark Lawrence, has this and he does just fine. Funnily he seems to straddle the line of creative / technical since he was a scientist before becoming an author. It’s interesting, but like the article says it’s not a disorder. Just a different way the brain can work.

• sajran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’m pretty sure I have aphantasia. My mom, on the other hand, is an artist with very powerful imagination. She would often tell me how she sees something she’s imagining and I never really knew what she meant. I just assumed that it’s kinda a figure of speech. Only when I first read about aphantasia I realized that it probably really works completely differently for her.

I would like to know whether aphantasia has any practical impact on one’s life. For example, I had this suspicion that differences in my “mental image processing pipeline” might be a factor in my terrible driving skills. Quick visual assessment of the traffic situation, at an intersection for instance, is very hard for me. This is just me making stuff up though, no idea if it makes any sense. In fact, I think I’m going to research this topic and look for some papers now!

• swordsmanluke@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

My wife has hella aphantasia. And facial blindness. She jokes that she would make the world’s worst eyewitness to a crime - she wouldn’t be able to recognize the perp or be able to describe 'em even if she could!

But as it has turned out, she’s been having trouble hearing as she’s grown older. We keep the subtitles on and avoid dining in even slightly noisy restaurants. Anything besides nearby face to face speech is a crapshoot.

So she saw an audiologist who ran the standard battery of tests and said “Your hearing is fine… But have you heard of auditory processing disorder?” Turns out that a portion of our auditory processing overlaps with a bit of our visual processing. For my wife, whose visual systems don’t all work right, her ability to filter noise and extract meaningful sound has started to degrade a bit. Mechanically her hearing is fine. But she can’t process the signal right - possibly related to her aphantasia.

There’s a lot we don’t know yet about aphantasia. Like synesthesia, it’s only been described medically in the very recent past. But if you ever start struggling to understand conversations… Check for auditory processing disorder alongside the rest.

For my wife… well, sge was able to get hearing aids - which look sleek now - and it’s been night and day. Instead of shifting frequencies, these are like noise canceling headphones on steroids. She’s suddenly able to follow conversations in noisy environments that would have been impossible before! So… if any of that sounds (heh) familiar - there’s help available!