• lynny@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Why only sexual abuse? This is a problem for survivors of child abuse in general. By the time we realize we have legal recourse it’s usually too late. You get like 2-5 years after the incident depending on your state.

My abusers will never face justice simply because I was too young and poor to file charges. I would like to see these extensions given to all child abuse victims, not just sexual.

• Fredselfish @lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Great now also allow it to jail said sex abuse fucks. It will bankrupt the Catholic church.

• Belgdore@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Putting them in jail won’t bankrupt the church. Making the church pay huge settlements and fines via the civil process will

• chakan2@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I hope it doesn’t pass…it’s nearly impossible to argue a case from decades ago with any objectivity…also, these are civil suits, not criminal.

There absolutely nothing stopping me from saying famous person X raped me 30 years ago. Just filing the case is enough to do irreparable harm before any facts are looked at.

Finally…

Until 2022, child sex abuse survivors in Colorado had just six years after they turned 18 to file a lawsuit.

“Just six years” is poorly worded at best. You have until you are 24 to stake a claim. That’s well into adulthood.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Several priests and Trump have been sued successfully and with good reason in New York because they absolutely were guilty of what they did. And 24 is not all that long, especially after surviving trauma, to have the stamina to face your rapist in court.

• starelfsc2@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Might be a case of hurt the few to protect the many. There are a lot more abuse cases than there are famous people.