Number 10 said it would not apologise for its approach to “energy security” this morning - with Greenpeace saying its protest was against the prime minister’s support for North Sea oil extraction.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Greenpeace was acting in protest against the prime minister’s “backing for a major expansion of North Sea oil and gas drilling” - where it will grant 100 new licences off the coast of Scotland.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden, who is standing in for Mr Sunak during his holiday, has defended the government’s decision to allow more drilling for oil and gas, saying they are needed as part of our “energy mix”.

The group says the move “flies in the face of multiple warnings from the government’s own climate advisers, the International Energy Agency and the UN secretary general that any new fossil fuel projects risk tipping the world into the danger zone above 1.5C of warming”.

Campaigners have warned against Mr Sunak’s plans to grant the licences for extraction in the North Sea amid concerns it will hinder efforts to reach net zero by 2050.

Read more:Moment Greenpeace protesters interrupt Liz Truss conference speechMore private jets took off from UK than any other European country in 2022, study finds

Conservative backbencher Brendan Clarke-Smith said: “MPs and their families have enough to worry about with their security without extremist groups and their spoilt activists pulling stunts like this at their homes to promote their unrealistic, extravagant demands and student union-level politics.”

I’m a bot and I’m open source!