• ivanafterall@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I think the reason I blame them is because it’s their fault, but I’m not Canadian, so I don’t count.

• systemglitch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

My partner works at a Sobeys doing file maintenance and she does all the price and label changes. She regularly shows me pictures of shrinkflation and price gouging. Some things doubled in price overnight.

It’s crazy and she says it’s a little bit depressing. And unlike a normal shopper, she’s aware of all the deals as well, so that’s nice for us.

• quicksand@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Hope you get an employee discount too. I loved that when I worked at Sprouts. Of course they maxed me out at 39.9 hours every week. So I kinda got a discount in lieu of healthcare, but still, I liked the perk

• mPony@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I’m not Canadian, so I don’t count

If you care about what happens in Canada, that counts for something.

• SamuelRJankis@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

This truly sounds pathetic. Although it clearly displays the real power hierarchy.

In February, the House of Commons’ committee that studies food prices urged Loblaw and Walmart to sign on to the grocery code of conduct, or risk having it made law. Both organizations have said they will not sign the code as currently drafted, saying it could raise prices for Canadians.

• LostWon@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’m surprised and disappointed the percentage isn’t higher than that, but these polls tend to have skewed sample groups anyway.

• FreeBooteR69@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I want a grocery store that doesn’t require you to join their shitty club to get lower prices.

• SamuelRJankis@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Just to point out in respective of at least “Loblaw” they own a lot more than just grocery stores and just using the profit margin is not a absolute indicator of how profitable they truly are.

Loblaw Companies>George Weston Limited>Wittington Investments, Limited

Report regarding grocery inflation.

We know very little of what is going on in food processing, transportation, and at other companies who participate in the food industry. A proper investigation led by the Competition Bureau of Canada would shed some light on practices in the industry.

• CancerMancer@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

With the level of vertical integration Loblaw has, they could easily be playing a shell game with the various stages the food goes through and just bleeding all the money out.

• PuddingFeeling@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

This is why passing school lunches for school children will help as it will be the provinces negotiating the prices.

• psvrh@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

More likely the (conservative) provinces will just give a sweet single-source contract to Aramark or Sodexo in exchange for either a kickback for their own businesses, and/or a post-career board of director appointment.

• Case@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

32% of people are dumb as shit.

This tracks with my personal experiences.