The average daily global sea surface temperature beat a 2016 record this week, according to the EU’s climate change service Copernicus.

It reached 20.96C. That’s far above the average for this time of year.

• Ertebolle@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m glad this is happening while most of the Boomers are still alive, they can see exactly what kind of world they’re passing on to their grandchildren before they go. (and if they suffer the brunt of the impact from heat-related illness I’m certainly not crying about that much)

• johnthebeboptist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m glad this is happening while most of the Boomers are still alive, they can see exactly what kind of world they’re passing on to their grandchildren before they go.

LMAO as if they give a shit. I talked with my parents about how they’re so privileged to be able to be so carefree (read: careless) about everything while I probably won’t ever see retirement or necessarily be able to drink water from the tap (we have excellent water) like they do and it was like I was talking an alien language. They don’t give a fuck.

• Quokka@quokk.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Eh my old man’s come around a lot these past few years.

Shit he even for the first time in his entire life didn’t vote for the Liberal (right wing) party.

But it’s too little too late unfortunately.

• johnthebeboptist@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeah, my parents went from chucking EVERYTHING in the same bin, food waste, cardboard, paper, batteries, whatever it is it went in the same bin and it smelled like death and leaked every single time. Now they recycle cardboard, at least milk cartons. I mean sure, there’s some change, but what use is it when the change should be pretty fucking big to make a difference - like you say, too little too late.

• bundes_sheep@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

An unpopular opinion I know, but most of the Boomers you’ll ever run across are just average joes who worked shit jobs trying to get by on small amounts of money in a world ruled by the mega rich, just like most of us are. If you have to bring judgement down like some kind of vengeful god, maybe worry a bit more about collateral damage.

• ickplant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Their “shit jobs” were pretty damn great. No degree needed, no experience, just come on in and take the job that pays enough for one person to provide for a family of 5. I don’t think you realize how much things changed. No one is blaming the boomers because they were rich and powerful. It’s because they had it fucking easy and ruined the climate for the rest of us.

• UnearthedUnusual@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Everything that you mention here as driving forces of climate change are more the fault of the ruling class at that time than boomers as a generation. What wealth everyday boomers had was more than what we had today, however the ultra-wealthy had significantly more ability to drive policy decisions than most boomers put together and they made the calls that structured the world with the climate-destroying system it has.

Also the ruling elites are the ones who took that generational wealth from this generation by their decisions as rulers. I don’t think it’s fair or accurate to blame boomers for what has happened to the planet.

Your rage is reasonable. We are living on the verge of a planet spiraling into chaos. I would just encourage you to place the blame where it really lies: ultra-wealthy ruling elites who are and have been running the planet into the ground while stealing all our time and money.

• Quokka@quokk.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

If they had shit jobs, what do I have?

I can’t afford a house, I’ll never afford retirement, I can barely afford to eat.

They had amazing jobs, that paid well relative to the economy, and had stability and opportunity for advancement.

And they voted that away for all future generations.

• Boiglenoight@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It may be happening but it’s going so slow that no one will feel responsible. We’re good at making up excuses such as “It was going to happen no matter what” and “God’s plan.” My main concern is keeping early signs of glaucoma at bay so that I can keep gaming for at least another 10-20 years.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The average daily global sea surface temperature beat a 2016 record this week, according to the EU’s climate change service Copernicus.

Hotter oceans and heatwaves disturb marine species like fish and whales as they move in search of cooler waters, upsetting the food chain.

“The water feels like a bath when you jump in,” says Dr Kathryn Lesneski, who is monitoring a marine heatwave in the Gulf of Mexico for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Scientists are investigating why the oceans are so hot right now but say that climate change is making the seas warmer as they absorb most of the heating from greenhouse gas emissions.

The new average temperature record beats one set in 2016 when the naturally occurring climate fluctuation El Niño was in full swing and at its most powerful.

While air temperatures have seen some dramatic increases in recent years, the oceans take longer to heat up, even though they have absorbed 90% of the Earth’s warming from greenhouse gas emissions.

I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• ickplant@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Um, this happened in January of 2022. And the article says the effects would dissipate with the next hydrological cycle and wouldn’t have a lasting impact. Do you have any actual proof the two are related?