• qprimed@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

according to the HN comments, many dentists seem to be familiar with them - so likely see your family dentist.

there is also quite a bit of debate over (problematic) changes to your jaw alignment and bite through usage of these things, so be aware of this and get legit medical advice before you decide to make use of one.

• Shirasho@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

As someone with dry mouth and both a mouth guard and a CPAP I can say with confidence that a CPAP is more comfortable for me. By definition a mouth guard is objectively more invasive since it goes in your body.

• ____@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I grind and have other issues, use CPAP, and use semi disposable mouthguards to help w the grinding at same time.

Invasive is a pretty strong term for this case, I would class neither one as such. The Inspire implant is “invasive,” by definition, given context.

OTOH, the mask was difficult to adjust to for me, and my wife’s “encouragement” and justifiable pushiness is big part of why I’m a reasonably successful mask wearer.

On my own, I would have tossed it out the window quickly! But I’d say the same thing re the disposable mouth guards, TBH. She intro’d me to them and I wasn’t a huge fan initially. But the difference it made after a few days was significant.

Ultimately, all three solutions exist because none are perfect for everyone.

Worth noting there are a handful of large dental practices shilling those mouthguards because $$$, but same is probably true for both the mask and the implant.

Incidentally, I’m currently in physical therapy recovering from an unrelated issue and it’s really made clear to me that for me, the mask is way better than implant. PT is a bitch, and that’s for an injury rather than surgery. But that’s me personally - it seems mildly disingenuous to throw around terms like “invasive” here, though CPAP is certainly a major adjustment and takes real work to get used to.