• ummthatguy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

11 got a bit crotchety by the end of his run. Speaks well of both the writing and Matt Smith’s ability to portray an old man trapped in a young body.

• activ8r@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I will admit that I didn’t like Matt Smith to begin with. I was too tied to David Tennant to accept him straight away. But Smith was an amazing Doctor in his own right and did a fantastic job. I really loved him by the end.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

It is what it is, is a way to stop discussing alternate realities and start processing this one.

“If only the doctor had done X and then Cara would still have her left arm and …”

“It is what it is. Now it’s time to start looking at prosthetics and helping her cope with the loss”

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The phrase “thought terminating cliche” is itself a thought terminating cliche.

You slap that label on a saying, and now you don’t have to think in order to figure out what it really means.

• iiGxC@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

It can be a thought terminating cliche. Like most TTCs, it can be pointing at some true aspect of reality, and be used to not go deeper than that

• Jojo, Lady of the West@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

“Fake news.” – used to negate the sources of an argument, often while providing alternate or misleading information to push an individual’s own interpretation of a subject; popularized by politicians in the US in 2016

Oh, yeah, just “politicians”. There was one in particular, but I forget which one.

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Orange you glad he’s going to prison.

OK, probably wishful coping on my part. Fingers crossed.

• lobut@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If you can afford it and it’s a pretty big if. Try to see a therapist if you can. Swap around them if it isn’t working for you as well.

I remember doing group therapy and not everyone there was great, but it felt good, knowing that I didn’t have to tell anyone around me how fucked up I was and that they all just knew.