State District Court Judge Jessica Mangrum on Friday issued a temporary exemption to Texas’ abortion ban. Hours later, the attorney general’s office filed an appeal, which blocked the order.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

It’s strange but true, USA has as high religiosity as Iran. A fundamentalist Islamic country.

We fought and won this fight on abortion here (Denmark) in the 70’s, it’s outright insane to see USA fight it and lose half a century later.

I never thought a democratic society could move backwards so badly. But then again USA is a very flawed democracy.

• PsychedSy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

We didn’t fight and win. It was an awkward ruling to begin with otherwise it would have covered drugs and a whole lot of other health related issues. We counted a questionable ruling as a win, high fived and did nothing for 50 fucking years.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

“Here” is Denmark. (I corrected my comment)

In Denmark we had a huge debate and lying campaigns by Christians against abortion, similar to what you have had in USA for 50 years now.

After a long struggle by women interest groups, and despite the misinformation by Christians, the Danish parliament finally decided to grant free abortion within 12 weeks of pregnancy in May 1973. So we have 50 year anniversary on the law this year.

In Denmark women won the fight against the extremely religious. But not just the victory of getting it legalized, the support in the population increased tremendously, and it was a huge prestigious loss for Christianity and their right to dictate morality based on religious views instead of reason based on current knowledge.

A poll in 2003 found that a whopping 93% of the population support it. Any talk by extreme Christians to remove it, has all but vanished. They know it’s a lost case for them. Now there is talk of relaxing the law, because in some cases it’s considered too strict.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Here in America they try to frame it as a non-religious opposition to abortion.

For most people it’s all about religion.

It’s one reason I support the right to abortion. Your religion shouldn’t impact other people.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Here in America they try to frame it as a non-religious opposition to abortion.

But we know the anti abortion movement are Christians. Right?

Your religion shouldn’t impact other people.

Agree.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

How you cite?

As I said, they try to define it that way but for it’s tied to religion for most people.

I’m an atheist. I do attend mass but like Dawkins I just like the tradition and ceremony. I fully support abortion and even if I believed in God I’d support abortion.

I believe in the concept of a “soul”. Not in a paranormal way but there is more to us than just a chemical interaction but it goes away when we die. I do not think it’s formed until much later in life. As such, when we are in the womb, we are the potential for more but we are nothing special.

Now I don’t mind some crossover between religion and government. I like having Christmas off. I don’t really celebrate it but it’s a nice holiday.

What I don’t like is when we take purely religious concepts and try to ban others behavior because of your sky god. Abortion is an example since some religions allow it and some deny it.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Roe vs wade was a bad court decision looking to be overturned. I wish congress has done something knowing it was bad. Countless scotus judges have said it was a bad decision. Even rgb said it was flawed

I’m a republican but I am pro-choice. Yet the party is pushing abortion bans without compromise.

I won’t vote democrat which means most likely I won’t vote. Until the republicans want to negotiate on abortion. They won’t get my vote.

I fully support the right to an abortion for any reason up until a reasonable time frame. I don’t know a single person who supports these crazy bans. I know they’re out there but they’re not in the circles I keep.

• PsychedSy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I agree with you on timeframe, but we don’t really have data that shows a need to limit abortion really so it seems kind of moot. As it turns out, carrying a fetus for 9 months and then merking it at the last minute isn’t a thing women do, and certainly not intentionally.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

The only reason I say we need a timeframe is compromise. Otherwise we end up with nothing.

I thought roe tried to balance it well.

This really is an issue with congress. They shouldn’t have sat around doing nothing all these years.

• Perfide@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

It’s not a coincidence. Iran was less religious in the early 70’s, too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/iran-shah-regime-1979-revolution-protests-liberal-reform-hassan-rouhani-ayatollah-khomeini-a8141311.html

There’s a reason so much media about the 60’s/70’s portrays hippies and that era of counterculture in general as lazy bums getting high instead of people tired of bullshit. It’s because it was fucking working, and the powers that be didn’t like that one bit and so put the full force of the propaganda machine behind making it into a mockery.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

put the full force of the propaganda machine behind making it into a mockery.

Agreed, and Nixon making cannabis illegal was part of that, and probably a pretty crucial move, that gave the police enormous power to disrupt everything the “hippies” or protestors stood for.

Unfortunately I think it’s still working, the search for a more humane society based on humane values kind of ended with the 70’s.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Jesus Christ, how evil can they get? Filing an appeal targetted specifically at medically necessary abortions is low even by Texas Republican standards.

• ashok36@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

So, the reason the judge made an exemption is because doctors were basically saying, “We have no idea how to provide care in these situations and not break the law”.

The Republicans response is, again basically, “The doctors have no reason to be worried about being prosecuted so the exemption isn’t needed in the first place.”

They could fix it in 5 minutes by passing a law specifically providing protections but they won’t because any reasonable law would allow at-will abortions too because, say it with me, ABORTIONS ARE MEDICAL CARE.

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

And I doubt the Texas Supreme Court will uphold the lower court’s opinion. Shitty that it automatically gets the opinion stayed too.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Right, but the fanaticism is about making women suffer. Punishing them for the sin of having sex. And, of course, it’s definitely God’s punishment if there’s something wrong with the pregnancy and you die. You must have deserved it, you wicked sinner.

• meco03211@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Saying the suffering is the point gives them far too much credit I think. They lack the fundamental capability to understand the impacts of their decisions and position. They can’t go past the basic and horrifically oversimplified “murder is wrong”. They won’t entertain situations in which the life of the woman could come into play. They can’t fathom why anyone might not consider a fetus a person. They legitimately don’t understand that they could be wrong. So how on earth could they be wrong?

They cannot process the full depth of the situation. So they revert to the simplest interpretation they can manage.

• treefrog@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s also to trap people in generational poverty so the capitalist class always has a working class to exploit.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I can’t imagine how any doctor can and chooses to work under these conditions. I am not in the medical field so maybe it’s not relevant but I have had a few times where I flat out refused to keep working for an employer/project because the constraints made failure unavoidable. Walk away. Come to the North where we are always short of doctors.

• broguy89@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Sue Texas for all they’re worth, this is the American way. Then use the money to move.