Study by World Health Organization shows more than half of children in Britain had drunk alcohol by age 13

Archived version: https://archive.ph/mtJSB

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

The study seems to be about first time having alcohol, but the reporting is equating this with alcohol abuse. I don’t think this is very good reporting at all. Your parents letting you have half a glass of champagne at a cousin’s wedding would seem to count here, but is a wildly different experience to the one implied by this reporting.

I absolutely believe the UK has a youth drinking problem, but I don’t believe this study is necessarily one the media should be pointing to to prove it.

• MadBob@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Even without reading the article, you can see they’re phrasing the highest rate of people who’d drunk once by 13 as the worst rate of child alcohol consumption. A lot of that consumption would’ve been legal and nothing untoward.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Even without reading the article

To be honest I thought the same, but I wanted to verify that the summary wasn’t simply misleading, which is why I went in and read the article in greater depth before commenting. Maybe the article itself had more to say. But nope, that’s really all there is to it.

• MadBob@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Well, you have a strain of intellectual honesty and patience that I was lacking in that fateful day.

• livus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The reportage here may not be doing the study justice. They most likely used other metrics.

I notice the BBC on same subject talks about children actually being drunk and about “last 30 days” both of which are better proxies.