• onoira [they/them]@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Would you work your whole life to just create FOSS?

yes, if it has social value and brings meaning to my life.

you can drop the word ‘just’: i wouldn’t just do any one thing, and neither would most people if given the opportunity to do more than just their 9 to 5.

there is more to life than feeding the mute compulsion for private wealth and fame. the driving force of most people is to be comfortable and to belong, and the two are intertwined. in our current society, private wealth and fame are the path to comfort (it’s debateable whether the wealthy have any sense of ‘belonging’).

a lot of people really do want to do things just for the joy or intellectual stimulation of doing it, and to do so without having the joy sucked out of it by economic imperatives enforced from on high by a nepotic sadomasochist in a suit. there is nothing more humiliating than being forced to play a game you had no part in making, that you can’t say say no to, and that exists only as a form of power imposed on you.

• _sideffect@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I agree that most of us are used and abused by the rich pricks, it’s why I joined this community in the first place.

But it’s taken to an aburd extreme here where it seems people want to live a care free happy life without burdens, yet at the same time expect life to continue as it currently is with all the benefits we all receive.

Fact is, it won’t. If people don’t bust their ass, and get paid well for it, most would not do anything of value (I know you said you would work for free, but you’re a very very small minority).