I saw yesterday that the current development version of Distrobox has gained the ability to define applications not only to the desktop launcher, but now also to the $PATH to invoke distrobox applications from the cli.

For those who have not yet heard of Distrobox, I wrote the linked blog explaining how I can now run a cli tool that I have already packaged for a ci pipeline in a Distrobox on my Steam deck.

• ebits21@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Very, very cool!

I use Silverblue with distrobox and was really hoping for a way to keep track of what I’ve installed in my distrobox images, since tracking layered packages is so easy in Silverblue already.

I’ve been intrigued by nix’s declarative aspects and this seems like a great way to have something similar with distrobox.

Edit: and yes, exporting to $PATH is also great! Right now I just have two different terminals: one launches into a distrobox image, the other the main os. Now I just need one. 😎

• user8e8f87e@berlin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

@ebits21 @Fbartels #Silverblue should replace #Toolbx with #Distrobox. Toolbx was first they had the idea, but now it is only inferior. I think Toolbx devolopers should abandon their project and just start to work on Distrobox.

I also agree that Silverblue should become fully declarative so that we can rebuild it with all layered packages, distroboxes, and flatpaks.