• 2deck@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The success story suggests that a smoke-free society can be attained more swiftly through a comprehensive, non-prohibitionist approach. This involves embracing both traditional measures and innovative solutions, catering to individual preferences, ensuring affordability, and providing easy access to safer nicotine alternatives.

Seems obvious when you put it like that. Banning can create a sort of Streisand effect, and steadily increasing tax doesn’t do much at all. Hope the safer alternatives don’t incentivise excessive usage.

• hadesflames@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As long as smoking is still banned in doors and on planes etc.

I couldn’t care less if other people want to kill themselves with deathsticks, as long as I don’t have to deal with their filthy ass nasty habit, that’s all I care about.

• Feydaikin@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

undefined> “as long as I don’t have to deal with their filthy ass nasty habit”

Funny, that’s how I feel about people as well. Not smoking, though

If the whole covid thing taught me anything, it’s how disgusting most people are in general. And how little ‘consideration for others’ goes into through their minds in everyday situations.

• kenton@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Basically showing that “abstinence only” approaches are rarely the correct approach. I went from smoking -> vaping -> pouch -> nothing. It was a long journey but it worked.

• cnnrduncan@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I still think that banning nicotine pouches is among the top 5 dumbest things that my country’s current Labour government has done.

• Square Singer@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Over here the pouches aren’t classified as nicotine product for some reason, so they aren’t age restricted. So the kids start on them.