A couple weeks old

• motor_spirit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

sounds like there’s tons of room for improvement if some company can just show up and kill animals without any verification, which is both great news and horrifying that the people involved could be so thoughtless

• Fashtas 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      30 days ago

It happens here all the time (Killing animals on unattended properties, Australia)

Sometimes the owner doesn’t even LIVE on the property where the animals are, and the butcher comes down with “third gate on the right, the one with the two trees, we want the two pigs next the the barn done” written on a post-it note.

Personally we’ve NEVER allowed any animals killed on the property without us being there but it’s not unusual.

• motor_spirit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

Well that insight makes me understand this more, and I can definitely understand the want and use of such instructions in these remote locations that nobody is constantly at. I suppose that just makes it more critical to double check what sparse notes you have 🥲

• x4740N@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Didn’t peta also kidnap and put down a families dog if I recall correctly

This article reminds me of that

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

A family in Washington state says a mobile butcher mistakenly slaughtered their pet pigs recently after showing up to the wrong address.

“Both Patty and Betty were laying in a big pool of blood, and a mess, and one of them had shackles on her,” the pigs’ owner, Nathan Gray, told local news station KIRO 7.

Gray and his wife, Natalie, adopted the pigs in 2022 to join their other pets, including cats, dogs, ducks and a chicken.

An attorney for the family told the BBC that the “law treats Betty and Patty no differently than if they were golden retrievers or Norwegian forest cats”, and it is a serious crime to intentionally injure an animal without legal justification.

Some butcher companies offer mobile slaughtering services for farmers who don’t want to haul their animals to a larger facility.

The Grays are advocating for more safety protocols for mobile butchers, saying that if they are bringing firearms on to someone’s property, the person should be home.

The original article contains 420 words, the summary contains 166 words. Saved 60%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    30 days ago

I’m surprised that self-called ‘butchers’ don’t get embarrassed by the negative connotations of the word, in the same way a gay person wouldn’t call themselves a certain f word.