• Hegar@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    28 days ago

take as many free shots as he wanted at the heavily restrained and completely innocent man, a perk the military provided to each new recruit. “Now, I’m not entirely sure what this gentleman’s whole deal is. Looks like he could be from the Middle East.

Brutal.

• djsoren19@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

I feel like I’ve seen an immediate increase in quality and especially bite to the Onion since their acquisition by the fans earlier this year. It’s awesome!

• Flummoxed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

Absolutely. The sting is back that so many people said was impossible in this era.

If only we could make something like this happen to a Murdoch paper or other “real” source.

• PrincessLeiasCat@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

Agreed…the quality never really went down, but the current content has that bite that early Onion pieces did. The early Onion was great but also new and something we really hadn’t seen before (by early Onion I mean Internet Onion, not the strictly print version).

This is the Onion that we all know and love, and have for years, but the more recent satire is so much more rough and blunt and raw that it elicits a similar reaction to the fresh, new Onion whose content was consistently a shocking yet laugh-until-you-cry experience because it hadn’t yet become routine. It’s like they said “Hold my absolute one last fuck that I had been saving for an emergency”.

Basically they’ve managed to reinvent the shock value, if that makes sense.

Damn that was wordy. I hope my point comes across.

• Flummoxed@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            27 days ago

Yes! Your point totally comes across, and I love words so whatever to the wordiness you feel! As a trained copy editor, I’d have trouble expressing the same in less words, even though that’s a specialty of mine. I hope we continue to get this “last fuck given” content. I NEED IT in these trying times.

• PrincessLeiasCat@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              27 days ago

Thanks so much! That makes me feel really good…I’m often told that I take too long to get to the point so this is honestly appreciated. :)