This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/feedthebeast by /u/SnaiperskayaMC on 2024-06-07 19:47:40+00:00.

For background, I’ve been playing Minecraft off and on since the late Alpha days. I used to play on a massive (for the time) economy server (Buxville, if anyone remembers that) and soon got into modded. I love exploring worlds with overhauled terrain gen and new structures and dungeons. I love setting up tech, assembly lines, and automation. I love tinkering with some of the big names in magic for all the fun toys and gadgets to play with. Yes, I do get overwhelmed sometimes and stuck trying to decide what to do and eventually I’ll fall off, set Minecraft aside for a while and come back later, but I do enjoy it overall. I’ve played several FTB packs, SevTech, MC Eternal, Oceanblock, and probably quite a few others plus have done custom packs a few times. I don’t mind kitchen sink packs, but some questing/progression for goals is always appreciated.

My girlfriend has never played Minecraft in her life, but I do think she’ll very much like it. She’s not a fan of “thinking” games, but she loves legos, building, and decorating as well as adventuring like RPGs. I bought the game on sale last week for her and she’s very eager to play together.

Here’s where I struggle: I have a very hard time going back to Vanilla now. Even with some of the recent updates (love the new cave systems, for example), the world just feels kinda barren and lifeless after years of playing various heavy modpacks and I’m never quite sure what to do with myself.

I’m looking for advice on how to best play the game that can keep me entertained without depriving her from experiencing what makes Minecraft special. If nothing else, I think you have to experience some of the jank to really appreciate what modders have done with the game.

Any thoughts?