• Jackthelad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

A slim model makes far more sense than a Pro model, at least.

There’s nothing better that a Pro console could really do, but a slimmed down model would be beneficial because the ordinary one is the size of a house.

• reallynotnick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I mean 60fps gaming at not sub 1080p resolutions on a Pro would be nice (see latest Final Fantasy for example) and just being able to get performance mode frame rates with quality mode graphics in games would be cool.

I think there is value in both a slim and Pro model.

• Dariusmiles2123@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I would be happy if there was no pro version for that generation.

It used to be that consoles were a stable hardware for an entire generation and optimization was the difference between a good developer and a bad one.

If you wanted to have more performance every 3 years, then PC was the way to go.

So I really hope that they just tested water with the ps4 pro and that they don’t reproduce the experiment again.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

So you don’t want them to make a Pro console because FOMO?

The base PS4 still worked great even well into the PS5 generation with games like Ragnarok. Neither the PS4 Pro or PS5 made that a poor experience. Devs don’t even want to leave base PS4 players behind almost 3 years into this gen, base PS5 owners will be fine and remain the vast majority of users. If you don’t want to upgrade, just don’t.

And it’s not like you have to buy new/additional hardware to play some games like in the past as all games would support the PS5. Unlike the Genesis which had Sega CD and 32X. GameBoy had GameBoy Color only games. N64 had expansion pak required games. DS had the DSiWare and 3DS had New 3DS only/enhanced games. The 360 started to require the HDD late in life for some games.

• Dariusmiles2123@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I just think that developers are allocating resources to have features for these pro consoles. I’d prefer if they just optimized the experience for everyone.

But you’re right about one thing, I’ve kept playing on the base ps4 until the end of the generation and I’ve been able to enjoy a lot of games.

• cuzit@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I like the two USBC ports so I don’t have to continuously swap out my PS4 ssd and PSVR. That said, if the “detachable disk drive” uses one of the USBC ports… meh.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Why use a front port for your SSD? Can’t you just use a rear USB-A 3.0 port? It’d be less cluttered assuming this is a semi-permanent attachment.

• cuzit@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I’d have to buy another cable, the ssd came with USBC-USBC. And I have an external spinning disk hdd plugged in there, for video captures and whatnot. I’m using all my ports.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

There’s 2 USB-A ports on the back so SSD and HDD and then PSVR in the front USB-C and that leaves you with a USB-A 2.0 for charging or whatever. For like $7 you don’t have to mess with switching cables, unless I’m missing a device.