• Eczpurt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 days ago

I remember in grade school, phones weren’t really allowed during class to begin with so is this legislation?

• Bo7a@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 days ago

Alberta doing the right thing is a breath of fresh air!

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The province’s announcement on Monday came on the heels of the U.S. surgeon-general calling on Congress to issue warning labels on social-media platforms, arguing that the products have emerged as an “important contributor” of the mental-health crisis among young people.

In a Monday opinion article in The New York Times, U.S. surgeon-general Vivek Murthy said a warning label on social-media platforms, similar to those on tobacco products, would be among the steps needed to protect young people.

Earlier this month, Nova Scotia announced rules that take effect this fall and require all elementary students to turn off their cellphones and store them out of sight during the school day.

Under new rules coming this fall, students in Grade 6 and below must put their cellphones away, powered off or set to silent mode throughout the school day, unless they receive permission from the teacher.

Michael Boyes, a developmental psychologist at the University of Calgary, said the devices affect students’ ability to focus, which in turn harms their critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.

“This strategy of moving to limit access to smartphones in our schools is an important step toward helping our students focus their attention on the learning and the development they need to do in order to flourish in the world,” he said at Monday’s news conference.

The original article contains 736 words, the summary contains 217 words. Saved 71%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• AnotherDirtyAnglo@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

There’s going to be a LOT of paradigm shifts without a clutch in September. My buddy’s daughter screams like you stabbed her if you take her phone away for more than a few minutes. The addiction is real.

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

A lot of kids are going to be begging for smart watches for Christmas I’d wager. I bet we’ll see a surge of marketing for them. Probably emphasizing some sort of tracking/ safety feature to help kids convince their parents it’s a perfect gift.

Parents might make them swear up and down not to use them in class, but it’s going to be tough.