• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

My phone once died at work and I needed to write my gf. While I had my phone in the charger I thought I could just do it on my work PC (HA! What a funny joke). “Check your phone. Can’t do that? Check your email.” I try to log into my email. “Lol, check your phone.”

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

2FA: Literally my case here, too bad my email also had 2FA pointed towards my phone.

And I don’t have my personal password manager on my work computer. Not to mention it wouldn’t save me from this 2FA chain that makes me phone the only valid key.

The moral of the story is ofc don’t use Gmail or stuff that only trusts your bloody phone.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 days ago

Doesn’t change the fact that I’d need a specific device to login, still can’t do anything from my isolated work computer. If I was carrying my personal laptop around with me, I wouldn’t have this issue to begin with, I’d just message from there.

Makes me wish something like a literal USB key existed. Altho for now I’ll probably just not use 2FA on my email, and use an alias instead for protection.

• Programmer Belch@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 days ago

From what I’ve seen (1 min search), OTP generation is a feature for premium users of bitwarden.

If you are on windows, you should try keepass with your database in your onedrive folder for easy syncing.

If you are on linux, there are options for syncing files like samba servers or mounting onedrive itself.

• UltraMagnus0001@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 days ago

I remember reading somewhere that keypass was hacked. I wonderr if they got better at security.

I Don’t remember exactly if the bitwarden feature I used was OTP, I think it was something like Login with passkey and then I had to put my bitwarden password for my Google login. I just picked bitwarden because I assumed it had more free features.

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

It makes me do the three-number selection thing like 2-3 times. One time, after completing it correctly (3 times in a row, mind you), it still blocked my login.

I am very fearful of the day I just can’t login to my account anymore.