• kbal@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

If they manage to do it by 2029 it will have been roughly one quarter of a century since it became obvious to anyone who cared to look into it that it needed doing.

• mosscap@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

Man, fuck everything about this. No way in hell a CPC government is going to shut this down if they are in power in 2029. The Liberals are such a profound disappointment.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The federal government is delaying the closure of open-net salmon farms off British Columbia’s coast until 2029.

She says the government will soon introduce nine-year licences for closed-containment (as opposed to open-net) salmon farm operations

Salmon Farmers Association has said about 4,700 jobs and more than $1 billion in annual economic activity will be lost if the licences can’t be renewed, while opponents say the farms can spread lice and disease to wild fish.

The federal government is expected to announce the way forward for fish farms along British Columbia’s coast.

Ocean-pen aquaculture operations have been a flashpoint between First Nations, the industry, wild salmon advocates and environmentalists for several years.

Opponents worry that open-net salmon farms can spread disease or lice to wild fish, while supporters say the risks are low.

The original article contains 411 words, the summary contains 124 words. Saved 70%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!