• Chocrates@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

Man if that could work I’d be so happy. People just say they didn’t know better and in the US at least you often need intent, so this would be very difficult to work in current US law. Hopefully it will work better in Wales

• Stupidmanager@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

The number of people in jail/prison in the US because they didn’t’ know better, is staggering. So the standard is already in place. I see no issues with dumping the worst crooks out there, in prison for being ignorant.

• BunnyBee@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

Especially if the person ignorant of the law is the cop arresting you.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 days ago

Generally a cop’s remit doesn’t include extensive knowledge of law - that’s why we have lawyers and judges.

Expecting cops to have that kind of knowledge isn’t useful, and contributes to current problems.

Even the most well-intentioned, best-educated cop can make mistakes (as we all can). So simply never argue with them - let them arrest you without complaint (because if they’re going to arrest you, there’s nothing you can do that won’t exacerbate the situation), any such issues can only be resolved in court - that’s the place for arguments.

• Amoxtli@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

You would think a democracy would outlaw misinformation and lies from politicians as to be honest to the public, but no…

• Xanthrax@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

Isn’t that a crime in a lot of places, but it’s not enforced/too “ambiguous”?

• Adalast@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

I mean… wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

That is the definition for Fraud. It should already be illegal for a politician to lie. Fraud is illegal in most countries from what I understand.