• LimpRimble@lemmy.caOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

“Everybody can always do more,” Kang said. “But I will say that [B.C.] is doing more than what other provinces are doing.”

I wonder what the figures are for the rest of the country?

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

has found less than one per cent are leaking planet-warming methane into the atmosphere — but some experts in the field say they’re not convinced the provincial energy regulator’s survey is representative of the actual situation on the ground.

Aaron Cahill, a geoscientist at Heriot-Watt University in the U.K. who has previously worked with the regulator, says the initiative can find the largest leaks but might miss what’s actually happening on the ground.

However, Mary Kang, a civil engineering researcher at McGill University, said even if an operator properly seals a well, earthquakes, land disruptions, and other factors can cause plugs to fail years after they are decommissioned.

— roughly equivalent to the emissions from driving 52 kilometres in a gas-powered car, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

Parfitt said the regulator conducts 4,500 on-the-ground inspections of oil and gas infrastructure each year, including some decommissioned wells.

She said the office is committed to monitoring decommissioned wells and plans to continue its flyover survey in the coming years.

The original article contains 624 words, the summary contains 165 words. Saved 74%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!