• fubarx@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

Many years ago, folks figured out how to crack firmware and find embedded keys. Since then, there have been many technological advances, like secure enclaves, private/public key workflows, attestation systems, etc. to avoid this exact thing.

Hopefully, the Rabbit folks spec’d a hardware TPM or secure-enclave as part of their design, otherwise no amount of firmware updating or key rotation will help.

There’s a well-established industry of Android crackers and this sort of beating will keep happening until morale improves.

• xthexder@l.sw0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Hahaha, that hardware is built to be as cheap as possible so they can make money on this scam of a product. I doubt the people making it even know what a TPM is from everything else we’ve seen.

• LainTrain@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

What I don’t understand is why the TTS key could even delete voices or read past responses from other devices, ideally each device should have its own properly scoped API key that only lets it access the immediately necessary functionality and no more.

• ReveredOxygen@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I would imagine that the devices aren’t making elevenlabs requests directly, but just making requests to the rabbit backend, which forwards the responses. if I’m wrong, then that’s quite impressively bad security

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 days ago

Then wouldn’t it be just one API key to the rabbit backend instead? The researchers are suggesting it’s several keys though. Or are you suggesting every device has the same key to Elvenlabs that it sends over to the rabbit backend which passes that through to the request? That’s also very silly if they did that.

• ReveredOxygen@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

My understanding was that they leaked the key that the rabbit backend uses to make requests to elevenlabs, and were just too lazy to change it. I could easily be wrong though

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

I don’t think that’s the case, because otherwise how did they leak this key that the backend uses, that presumably stayed in the backend, by reverse-engineering the rabbit android application?

I think the devices all just have hardcoded keys to the APIs themselves.

• geography082@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

The official webpage is a buy it now bait, it doesn’t even explain what the hell is the device . What it does. Examples. I can’t believe there is press for this kind of money baits.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Rabbit and its R1 AI gadget are under fire again, and it’s much more serious than the time we found out its launcher really could just be installed as an Android app.

A group of developers and researchers called Rabbitude says it discovered API keys hardcoded in the company’s codebase, putting sensitive information at risk of falling into the wrong hands.

Rabbitude published an article yesterday saying that it gained access to the keys over a month ago but that despite knowing about the breach, Rabbit did nothing to secure the information.

Rabbit responded to our request for comment by pointing us to a page on its site, published midday on Wednesday.

Company spokesperson Ryan Fenwick says that the company will be updating the page to “provide updates as they become available.” The statement on its site echoes a post Rabbit made to its Discord channel yesterday, saying that it is in the midst of investigating the incident but hasn’t yet found “any compromise of our critical systems or of the safety of customer data.”

Update, June 26th: Added a link to a support page on Rabbit’s site with its response to the security breach.

The original article contains 382 words, the summary contains 195 words. Saved 49%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!