I’m trying to set up a home studio. I’m a musician but my audio equipment knowledge is limited. I mean, it’s non-existent. I need you to tell me if I’m going to blow up my gear.

I currently have a pair of JBL 305p MK2 connected to my PC’s mixer/interface monitor out. I’m planning to add a subwoofer (LSR310S) and another pair of monitors for my keyboard across the room.

I’ll use a 1-in 3-out stereo XLR switch after the mixer to switch between the PC and keyboard outputs, while still allowing me to use Pianoteq software on the PC.

I want to use the 3rd switch selection to bypass the subwoofer when using the PC. My idea was to use a y-cable to combine signals A and B from the switch, with one input coming directly from the switch (B), and the other coming from the sub outputs (A). Only one output will be sent at a time. In my imagination, switching to A will send through the subwoofer, and B will go directly to the monitors.

I know it’s a no-no to combine signals with a y cable normally, but considering it’s one-or-the-other because the switch comes before the y cable in the chain, will it work as I’m imagining? If not, what do I need instead of a y cable?