This one isn’t for balconies, but it is for apartments, so I hope it makes sense that I am posting this here.

With window hydroponics, you take:

• used water bottles
  • a pump kit (with tubing and joints)
  • a bucket of water
  • growing substrate
  • a hanging anchor kit
  • silicone steel tube
  • chain (for hanging)
  • tools (electric drill, plier, hole punch)

… and convert them into a tiny food garden that hangs by your window. This gives food options for those who live in apartment’s that might not have had the choice before.

You’ll of course need plants that do not get too big (such as dwarf tomato plants instead of full-sized). If your window does not get enough sunlight, you may also have to supplement that with grow lights and a plug timer.

You do not need to buy an expensive kit. There are DIY sources everywhere, including this video explaining to use a pool noodle to create a growing substrate(an option to save an old pool noodle from the trash) instead of rockwool or pebbles.

I have not tried this myself, but thought I would share it in case it helps someone.

More Info:

• GuilhermePelayo@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Very cool! I think I might do something similar but might first try with regular pots. Not sure I want to jump into hydroponics right now.

• Blair@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Typically, with hydroponics or aquaponics, you won’t have a problem. For example, fungus gnats(a common attacker of house plants) are born in soil and feed on decaying plant matter. So, if you remove the soil, you can’t have fungus gnats.

• Guenther_Amanita@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I really like the concept and will take a further look at it.

My only issue is: when you already have to use pumps and stuff, why not directly go into NFT?
    That way, you could use the space way more efficiently and don’t have to use pots with substrate.

I personally am more of a fan of passive systems, like Kratky or normal LECA in self watering pots.

• Brainsploosh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

A typical window garden runs on an ebb & flow, with flooding happening at intervals according to climate and plant needs. Evaporation will be different in Finland than Cuba.

I’m curious as to how you come to think NFT would be more space efficient? The vertical window garden setup in the picture should be able to fit more foliage than the side-by-side configuration most NFT seems to use.

• Guenther_Amanita@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

To be honest, I don’t know.
        I’m mostly interested in simple (like DWC) or passive (Kratky or wick) systems and therefore mostly researched about those.

The setup OP uses is definitely worth considering, especially since it reuses trash and doesn’t require using tools like hole saws and stuff.
        It’s definitely something that is worth looking further into. Does it have a name I can look up?

The cool thing about NFTs is that they don’t require schedules like in an ebb and flow, and you can stack them like a Z, while also being able to tug some grow lights on the underside if needed.
        They are often the favourite system of hydroponics nerds, especially for growing herbs and leafy vegetables.

• Brainsploosh@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

The tech is called Window farm and had a quite large, global community developing the system for simplicity, climates and yield. I haven’t looked at it since pre-pandemic times, but the site seems to have been updated since.

Check it out, there’s a lot of cool solutions upcycling everyday objects!

As for NFT, I haven’t tried it yet, but have had Kratky, DWC, Ebb & Flow, window farm, and am currently designing an aeroponics system to play around with.

Haven’t ever chosen NFT as the simple setups require a lot more supports and/or floor area than I can comfortably accommodate. And DWC/Kratky with a bubbler seems to outperform it with less fiddling or effort.

I’m now curious to see if aeroponics will lower the water usage, and how it will affect yields.

For home use, I’d suggest DWC, with or without bubbler, as probably the most yield/fun for least hassle. Having multiple plants in the same system will always lead to complications and unnecessary mass death.

• Blair@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Haha could I have more info on NFTs? When I try searching it up, I only get the non-fudgable token kind of NFTS 😆

Just guessing, though, think of this as a low-income starter kit. Assuming you can scavenge the bottles and substrate, this whole set up might cost around $40CAD (though keep in mind that’s a rough estimate from someone with dyscalculia hahaha)