• FoxyFerengi@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

My mom was in opus dei. She tried to take some vows that included celibacy, which obviously caused some strife with my dad. She also spent pretty much all day either in prayer or trying to insert herself into the leadership of various community organizations so she could “lead people to the church”. There was also about three days a week where we’d travel up to ten hours one way for opus dei meetings.

I had a kidney stone when I was 16, and when she found me passed out in pain decided to drive me two hours to a church so I could be prayed over. When that didn’t fix my pain she tried to cast demons out of me. Definitely what I needed at the time xD

Anyway. I’m sure not everyone in opus dei is completely insane, but my personal experience is that it’s very cult like (even compared to other catholics).

• T00l_shed@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Fucking colour me shocked. You mean the guy who was to instill radical Christian beliefs on the entire fucking country has ties to radical Christians‽

• NegativeInf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I wonder if this could be used as a wedge to drive Republicans apart? We know how evangelicals feel about Catholics.